Missouri State University Cello Clinic (online) Registration Closes July 31, 2020
If you’d like to get a jump start on improving your playing technique, practice strategies, learning solos or ensemble music, and reaching your goals this year as a cellist before school starts, this clinic is for you!
AboutThis year’s clinic will be held online but will include a broad range of activities that will help students work together to learn healthy ways to approach their instruments, develop practice strategies and playing techniques, and learn to phrase and interpret musical works.One of the special topics classes will be focused on phrasing and interpreting Bach’s cello suite movements, using some materials from Dr. Ketter’s arrangements of Bach suite movements for cello ensemble. Check out this video of the Prelude to Bach’s Suite No. 1 in G major, with the solo accompanied by a cello quartet playing the underlying harmony: https://www.youtube.
com/watch?v=mLg5Z6PunAIStudent cello musicians age 14 and up are encouraged to register. Recommended level intermediate to advanced.DatesAugust 4-7, 2020Orientation is Monday, August 3, 4-5 p.m.Registration FeesIf registered before July 21, fee is $75.After July 21, registration fee is $100.Registration closes Friday, July 31, 2020.Activities & ScheduleEach participant will receive one private lesson with Dr. Daniel Ketter and participate in the following daily activities held over the Zoom web conferencing service:
- 9:00-10:30 a.m. — Daily meeting, warm-up and group technique class
- 10:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. — Individual practice or private lessons
- 1-2:30 p.m. — Masterclass or special topic lecture
- 2:30-4:30 p.m. — Individual practice or private lessons
- There are three hours of group content each day where all students will be online. Other times indicated above are designated for individual practice offline or individual online private lessons with Dr. Ketter.As a part of the clinic, all students will participate in a collaborative multi-track video performance that will be shared online with friends and family at the end of the clinic. Here is an example of a video produced with Missouri State University Cello Club members playing an arrangement of “The Swan” by Saint-Saëns earlier this year: https://www.youtube.com/
watch?v=9vta1qUxC0oRequirements for ParticipationAfter you are registered and admitted, Dr. Ketter will schedule a video interview to discuss the clinic and answer any questions, as well as to decide what musical works you want to focus on for your individual private lesson. You will also receive instructions via email for recording and uploading video recordings, a technique packet that will be used during morning sessions, and a detailed schedule.You will also need:
- A cello
- Headphones or earbuds
- A quiet place to practice and participate in sessions without distractions and with strong, broadband internet access
- A device for recording and streaming audio and video, like a laptop, iPad/tablet, smartphone, etc.
- Printed copies of your music and access to a printer, or a music reading application like ForScore, and a page turning pedal
For more information, go to the website here: https://www.missouristate.edu/music/celloclinic.aspx