PSHP Notes for 5.17.2019
We could still use some prize store items that you could bring tomorrow!
Please read carefully and look at the bottom at the calendar for updates for the schedule through the end of December!!
Notes for Friday, May 17, 2019
12:45-2:45 Kara Kaufman
Parent and Student Notes for Friday, May 17, 2019
- Please pay for your 3 weeks in May, plus your $7 church usage fees and $10 concert fees.The bill for the month of May will be for 3 weeks. PSHP was scheduled to meet 29 times, but we missed 2 Fridays because of winter weather (January 11 , February 15). You will only be billed for a total of 27 Fridays, which is 8 months at 3 weeks, plus May at 3 weeks to add up to the 27 Fridays.
- Combined practice at Noon for the instruments and Praise and Worship, with choir joining us at 12:15 in the Sanctuary for all high school students who have Behold Our God.
- Remind students to bring their tickets for the Prize Store tomorrow. The Prize Store will be open from 10:30 to 3:30 in Room 104.
- Drum Set and Yearbook class will not meet this week.
- 5.Room changes tomorrow due to the Prize Store:
10:00 Younger Beginner Guitar theory class Go to Room 103
12:45 Singers Theory Year 2 Combine and meet in Room 102
1:45 Mezzo Theory Year Combine and meet in Room 102
- 4:00 Friday in the Sanctuary will be our Music Composition Recital. All are invited to attend and hear the wonderful talent our of performers and composers under the direction of Dr. Heather Nelson.
- Adjusted class schedule at the end of the day:
2:45-3:20 Beethoven Orchestra
3:20-3:50 Brahms Orchestra
3:50 Doors Open for Music Composition recital
- We could still use some prizes for the Prize Store on Friday, May 17. Ideas include candy, instrument accessories, gift cards, batteries, games, etc.
- PLEASE tell your family members that NO Feminine Products are allowed in the Asbury toilets please.
- The Information Table has a new home and is located in the hallway at the desk as you walk in from the east covered entrance. Check out the sign-ups at the counter!
- Beginner Orchestra students will all meet together in the Sanctuary. This includes all of the violins, viola, cello, and harp students.
12.. Beginner Band and Intermediate Band classes will all meet together tomorrow at their respective times. Beginner Band at 8:45 and Intermediate Band at 10:00
- Yearbook Deadline
Friday, April 12 was the last day to order your PSHP Yearbook and receive free shipping.
Price is $17.03 for each book.
Orders placed May 4th or after will have additional shipping but will be shipped to your home address.
Check out the website and use this pass code for PSHP:
Pass code: 1014740501293185
- Be sure to check the website for class assignments or bonus questions. Each student ages 8-13 in the beginner or intermediate classes will receive a ticket for each 30 minutes of practice. These tickets can be redeemed at the end of each semester for prizes. http://playhispraises.com
- If you want to try out an instrument before you sign up to play, come on Friday, June 7 at 10:00 at Asbury. This will give you an additional time and “hands on” for those students who wish to look at their instrument choices. Open to any home schooled student eight years and older.
PSHP Picnic Details
Friday, May 24 will be our end of year picnic from 11:30-2:30 at Smith Park, 1536 E. Division. This will be rain or shine and has a covered pavilion that we have reserved.
At noon there will be a photo opportunity for all of the PSHP Seniors by the Graduation Cake!
Yearbooks will be ready!!
Bring your lunch or sign up at the information table to reserve your grilled hotdogs and hamburgers from the security team. Please plan to pay at the picnic!
Price of Hotdogs is $1.50 each
Price of Hamburgers is $2.50 each.
Please plan on bringing something to share whether you bring your lunch or buy from the PSHP Grill.
Bring sports equipment for baseball, tennis, basketball, etc.
Bring your chairs or a blanket along also.
New Students and New Families for Fall for PSHP
Please share this information with any friends or families who would be interested in learning more about Play and Sing His Praises Home school Music Classes.
We offer classes in orchestra, band, choir, guitar, recorder, harp, and Praise and Worship for Christian home school students ages 8-19. Each student will receive two hours of instruction on each Friday with one hour in their performing class and one hour in music theory.
Classes are held at Asbury Methodist Church, 1500 S. Campbell, 3 blocks north of Bass Pro.
Friday, June 7 at 10:00 am is a time to stop by and try instruments to see what is a good fit for the student.
This summer we will be having meetings for you to check us out and you will need to attend one of these meetings to register in August. All of these will be at Asbury.
Thursday, June 20 at 7:00 pm
Tuesday, July 9 at 7:00 pm
Friday, August 16 at 2:00
Registration and Book Sale Day is Friday, August 23 at 11:00 for new families last names beginning A-L and 12:00 for new families last names beginning M-Z.
Check out our website for more information or to email questions to the director, Kathy Love at KALcello@cs.com
All students will be evaluated in their performing classes and their theory classes tomorrow. The written evaluations will be sent home with each student. Some teachers will give tickets for returning their written evaluation with their parent’s signature.
DVD’s of Last Concerts on May 20 and May 21
Options for professional DVD recordings of the last concerts:
- Digital Download $20 for one night, $30 for two nights.
- Copied onto a dvd in a case: $25 for one night, $35 for two nights.
These are high quality videos as Mr. Bergeon is a photographer and videographer and orders will be ready for pick-up on May 24 at the picnic.
Sign Up at the Information Table and leave payment in an envelope that will be provided. Make checks out to Joseph Bergeon.
Please be mindful of our conservative dress guidelines as outlined in the Handbook as we have approached warmer weather. No sleeveless shirts are allowed and shorts must be within 2 inches of your knees. Thanks for your help in this matter.
Just a reminder that no children should be left unattended at Asbury when they are not in class if they are 12 and younger. An older sibling that is at least 15, may be responsible for the younger sibling, if the older sibling is not in class at the time. PSHP wants to make sure that everyone is safe on Fridays. Our safety team is busy keeping watch over the building and grounds from non PSHP people. Thanks for your attention to this.
CONGRATULATIONS and Thank You
- Thank you to Melanie and Dustin Bush for our beautiful program for our concert on Tuesday, May 21.
- Thank you to Dan Updegrave and Calvary Baptist for helping print our programs for our May 21 program.
- Thank you to the music history students who wrote program notes for our May 21 program.
- Thank you to the Carpenters who donated a keyboard for our theory classes.
- Thank you to Jacob Poisel who repaired two of our three broken keyboards and is working on repairing a third keyboard. He has also taken some of Asbury’s old laptops and cleaned off the information and is recycling them or reusing the parts.
- Thank you to Kevin DeMera for repairing the women’s toilet and thanks for those who donated the parts.
Calendar Reminders for May and Fall of 2019
- Monday, May 20 The Concert location for all of the younger classes will be at Asbury, 1500 S. Campbell. This is a come and go concert, with little warm-up time. Please don’t take your cases into the Sanctuary, but report to Room 102-103 20 minutes before your concert time, so you can be tuned and walk in together. Please enter through the door of Room 102 and exit through the door of Room 103.
6:00 Beginner Orchestra (report to stage at 5:40) 7:00 Beginner Band
6:15 Recorders 7:15 Intermediate Guitar
6:25 Younger Beginner Guitars 7:25 Intermediate Orchestra
6:30 Older Beginner Guitars 7:40 Intermediate Band
6:40 Singers Choir 7:55 Advance Intermediate Orchestra
6:50 Beginner Bells Class 8:10 Mezzo Choir
8:25 Bach Orchestra
- Tuesday, May 21 The Concert location for all of the older classes will be at Cherry Street Baptist Church, 1201 S. Oak Grove. Concert starts at 6:00, with warm-ups starting at 4:30. I
- Friday, May 24 PSHP Picnic and Year End Celebration at Smith Park, 1536 E. Division from 11:30-2:30. Our security team will be grilling hotdogs and hamburgers and selling them at the picnic. Please bring a side and a dessert to share. The graduates will have a photo opportunity at Noon by the cake!!
- Around Friday, August 2 be on the watch out for an email with requirements for auditioning for a new class. All students are required to audition, except for recorder and choir students with the exception of Bel Canto, to advance to the next class. Auditions will take place on Friday, August 16 at Asbury.
- All returning members (high school age and one parent) will need to come to a meeting this August either on Friday, August 16 at 11:00 or on Friday, August 23 at 9:00.
- All returning members will need to let us know by Friday, August 16 that they are returning for the fall of 2019 for PSHP classes. Wait for more details as this might be a constant contact or other survey type response.
- 7.Music Book Sale and Registration Day is Friday, August 23 with the following breakdown, but all returning members will need to attend a meeting before registering.
9:00 Returning Members last names A-L , also there will be a Returning Members meeting if you did not attend the meeting on August 16.
10:00 Returning Members last names M-Z
11:00 New Families last names A-L
12:00 New Families last names M-Z
- Teacher Meeting for all PSHP teachers is on Friday, August 30
9:00 All new adult teachers
10:00 All PSHP Adult teachers and student teachers
- First Day of Classes for the 2019-2020 PSHP year is Friday, September 13
- Note that there are no classes or teacher’s meetings this year on Friday, September 6.
11 Fall Break Friday, October 11
- Thanksgiving Break, Friday, November 29
- PSHP ElementaryClass Christmas Concert from 10:00 am to 12:30 pm at Asbury on Friday, December 13 or maybe in the afternoon
- Older classes will also practice in the morning or afternoon of Friday, December 13. More TBA later.
- Older classes Christmas Concert on Saturday, December 14 at 2:00. More TBA later.
- Angie Richardson and family
- The Campbell family, a homeschool family that is related to the Cymbaluks, and Jerusha (Hardin) Campbell’s in lost their home in a tornado Tuesday night. The dad, Galin, is receiving cancer treatments and they were in Kansas City during the tornado, except for their one daughter, Everyone is safe and sound. They have set up a gofundme at https://www.gofundmeand search for Galin Campbell. I can’t get the link to copy here at the moment. It is also on my Facebook feed or you can donate at the Payment or Info Table Friday.
- Adrian and Gabriel Graves are in Texas as their great grandpa passed away and their great grandma’s brother passed away.
- Guthrie family, good news Kevin was released from the hospital and is recovering at home.
- Lisa Meendering’s brother in law is at Rochester, MN after a heart attack.
- Shari Wilder and family