Notes for Friday, 5.10.2019
Please read carefully and look at the bottom at the calendar for updates for the schedule through the end of December!!
Notes for Friday, May 10, 2019
8:45-11:00 Jennifer Lambert, Amanda Amorose
11:00-1:00 Heather McClain
12:45-2:45 Kara Kaufman
1:45-3:45 Any volunteers
Parent and Student Notes for Friday, May 10, 2019
- Please pay for your 3 weeks in May, plus your $7 church usage fees and $10 concert fees. The bill for the month of May will be for 3 weeks. PSHP was scheduled to meet 29 times, but we missed 2 Fridays because of winter weather (January 11 , February 15). You will only be billed for a total of 27 Fridays, which is 8 months at 3 weeks, plus May at 3 weeks to add up to the 27 Fridays.
- Combined practice at Noon for the instruments and Praise and Worship, with choir joining us at 12:15 in the Sanctuary for all high school students who have Behold Our God.
- Drum Set and Yearbook class will not meet this week.
- We could still use some prizes for the Prize Store on Friday, May 17. Ideas include candy, instrument accessories, gift cards, batteries, games, etc.
- PLEASE tell your family members that NO Feminine Products are allowed in the Asbury toilets please.
- The Information Table has a new home and is located in the hallway at the desk as you walk in from the east covered entrance. Check out the sign-ups at the counter!
- Beginner Orchestra students will all meet together in the Sanctuary. This includes all of the violins, viola, cello, and harp students.
- Beginner Band and Intermediate Band classes will all meet together tomorrow at their respective times. Beginner Band at 8:45 and Intermediate Band at 10:00
- Yearbook Deadline
Friday, April 12 was the last day to order your PSHP Yearbook and receive free shipping.
Price is $17.03 for each book.
Orders placed May 4th or after will have additional shipping but will be shipped to your home address.
Check out the website and use this pass code for PSHP:
Pass code: 1014740501293185
- Be sure to check the website for class assignments or bonus questions. Each student ages 8-13 in the beginner or intermediate classes will receive a ticket for each 30 minutes of practice. These tickets can be redeemed at the end of each semester for prizes. http://playhispraises.com
- If you want to try out an instrument before you sign up to play, come on Friday, June 7 at 10:00 at Asbury. This will give you an additional time and “hands on” for those students who wish to look at their instrument choices. Open to any home schooled student eight years and older.
PSHP Picnic Details
Friday, May 24 will be our end of year picnic from 11:30-2:30 at Smith Park, 1536 E. Division. This will be rain or shine and has a covered pavilion that we have reserved.
At noon there will be a photo opportunity for all of the PSHP Seniors by the Graduation Cake!
Yearbooks will be ready!!
Bring your lunch or sign up at the information table to reserve your grilled hotdogs and hamburgers from the security team.
Price of Hotdogs is $1.50 each
Price of Hamburgers is $2.50 each.
Please plan on bringing something to share whether you bring your lunch or buy from the PSHP Grill.
Bring sports equipment for baseball, tennis, basketball, etc.
Bring your chairs or a blanket along also.
New Students and New Families for Fall for PSHP
Please share this information with any friends or families who would be interested in learning more about Play and Sing His Praises Home school Music Classes.
We offer classes in orchestra, band, choir, guitar, recorder, harp, and Praise and Worship for Christian home school students ages 8-19. Each student will receive two hours of instruction on each Friday with one hour in their performing class and one hour in music theory.
Please join us at an Open House to find out more: Friday, May 3 at 9:15, 10:15, and 1:15 or Friday, May 10 at 9:15, 10:15, and 1:15.
Classes are held at Asbury Methodist Church, 1500 S. Campbell, 3 blocks north of Bass Pro.
Friday, June 7 at 10:00 am is a time to stop by and try instruments to see what is a good fit for the student.
This summer we will be having meetings for you to check us out and you will need to attend one of these meetings to register in August. All of these will be at Asbury.
Thursday, June 20 at 7:00 pm
Tuesday, July 9 at 7:00 pm
Friday, August 16 at 2:00
Registration and Book Sale Day is Friday, August 23 at 11:00 for new families last names beginning A-L and 12:00 for new families last names beginning M-Z.
Check out our website for more information or to email questions to the director, Kathy Love at KALcello@cs.com
Found Item in Parking Lot
Did anyone have a guest named Loretta Kroft at contest? Contact me as we found something in the parking lot that belongs to them.
All students will be evaluated in their performing classes and their theory classes over the next 2 weeks. The written evaluations will be sent home with each student. Some teachers will give tickets for returning their written evaluation with their parent’s signature.
DVD’s of Last Concerts on May 20 and May 21
Options for professional DVD recordings of the last concerts:
- Digital Download $20 for one night, $30 for two nights.
- Copied onto a dvd in a case: $25 for one night, $35 for two nights.
These are high quality videos as Mr. Bergeon is a photographer and videographer and orders will be ready for pick-up on May 24 at the picnic.
Sign Up at the Information Table and leave payment in an envelope that will be provided. Make checks out to Joseph Bergeon.
Please be mindful of our conservative dress guidelines as outlined in the Handbook as we have approached warmer weather. No sleeveless shirts are allowed and shorts must be within 2 inches of your knees. Thanks for your help in this matter.
Just a reminder that no children should be left unattended at Asbury when they are not in class if they are 12 and younger. An older sibling that is at least 15, may be responsible for the younger sibling, if the older sibling is not in class at the time. PSHP wants to make sure that everyone is safe on Fridays. Our safety team is busy keeping watch over the building and grounds from non PSHP people. Thanks for your attention to this.
CONGRATULATIONS and Thank You
- Thank you to Dr. Heather Nelson for hosting a meeting about the life of a music major and music minor at a college setting last week. I also enjoyed being able to share.
- Thank you to the orchestra students in Beginner Orchestra, Intermediate Orchestra, Advance Intermediate Orchestra and Bach Orchestra that performed at Maranatha last Saturday morning! Maranatha was able to broadcast us to all of their residents’ rooms. Thank you parents, teachers, and older students who joined us to make this a great day for all!
- Nathan Price and Ava Powell performed with the Springfield Youth Symphony concert at Tuesday and did a superb job!!
Hall Monitor for Friday, May 17, 2019
8:45-11:00 Any volunteers???
11:00-1:00 Any volunteers???
12:45-2:45 Kara Kaufman
1:45-3:45 Any volunteers???
Calendar Reminders for May and Fall of 2019
- Friday, May 17 at 4:00 in the Sanctuary will be our Music Composition Recital. All are invited to attend and hear the wonderful talent our of performers and composers under the direction of Dr. Heather Nelson.
- Friday, May 17 Adjusted class schedule at the end of the day:
2:45-3:20 Beethoven Orchestra
3:20-3:50 Brahms Orchestra
3:50 Doors Open for Music Composition recital
- Monday, May 20 The Concert location for all of the younger classes will be at Asbury, 1500 S. Campbell. This is a come and go concert, with no warm-up times.
6:00 Beginner Orchestra 7:00 Beginner Band
6:15 Recorders 7:15 Intermediate Guitar
6:25 Younger Beginner Guitars 7:25 Intermediate Orchestra
6:30 Older Beginner Guitars 7:40 Intermediate Band
6:40 Singers Choir 7:55 Advance Intermediate Orchestra
6:50 Beginner Bells Class 8:10 Mezzo Choir
8:25 Bach Orchestra
- Tuesday, May 21 The Concert location for all of the older classes will be at Cherry Street Baptist Church, 1201 S. Oak Grove. Concert starts at 6:00, with warm-ups starting at 4:30.
- Friday, May 24 PSHP Picnic and Year End Celebration at Smith Park, 1536 E. Division from 11:30-2:30. Our security team will be grilling hotdogs and hamburgers and selling them at the picnic. Please bring a side and a dessert to share. The graduates will have a photo opportunity at Noon by the cake!!
- Around Friday, August 2 be on the watch out for an email with requirements for auditioning for a new class. All students are required to audition, except for recorder and choir students with the exception of Bel Canto, to advance to the next class. Auditions will take place on Friday, August 16 at Asbury.
- All returning members (high school age and one parent) will need to come to a meeting this August either on Friday, August 16 at 11:00 or on Friday, August 23 at 9:00.
- All returning members will need to let us know by Friday, August 16 that they are returning for the fall of 2019 for PSHP classes.
- Music Book Sale and Registration Day is Friday, August 23 with the following breakdown, but all returning members will need to attend a meeting before registering.
9:00 Returning Members last names A-L , also there will be a Returning Members meeting if you did not attend the meeting on August 16.
10:00 Returning Members last names M-Z
11:00 New Families last names A-L
12:00 New Families last names M-Z
- Teacher Meeting for all PSHP teachers is on Friday, August 30
9:00 All new adult teachers
10:00 All PSHP Adult teachers and student teachers
- First Day of Classes for the 2019-2020 PSHP year is Friday, September 13
- Note that there are no classes or teacher’s meetings this year on Friday, September 6.
- Fall Break Friday, October 11
- Thanksgiving Break, Friday, November 29
- PSHP ElementaryClass Christmas Concert from 10:00 am to 12:30 pm at Asbury on Friday, December 13
- Older classes will also practice in the afternoon of Friday, December 13. More TBA later.
- Older classes Christmas Concert on Saturday, December 14 at 2:00. More TBA later.
Concerts to Attend
1 . The Springfield Symphony is performing Star Wars music on Saturday night, May 11, at 7:30 at Hammons Hall on the campus on Missouri State University. Tickets are $26 and $30 at the box office as the cheap seats are all sold out.
- Angie Richardson and family
- The Campbell family, a homeschool family that is related to the Cymbaluks, and Jerusha (Hardin) Campbell’s in lost their home in a tornado Tuesday night. The dad, Galin, is receiving cancer treatments and they were in Kansas City during the tornado, except for their one daughter, Everyone is safe and sound. They have set up a gofundme at https://www.gofundmeand search for Galin Campbell. I can’t get the link to copy here at the moment. It is also on my Facebook feed or you can donate at the Payment or Info Table Friday.
- Adrian and Gabriel Graves are in Texas as their great grandpa passed away and their great grandma’s brother passed away.
- Guthrie family, good news Kevin was released from the hospital and is recovering at home.
- Lisa Meendering’s brother in law is at Rochester, MN after a heart attack.
- Shari Wilder and family