Music Notes for Friday, April 13, 2018
PLEASE Look at the schedule for tomorrow April 13 very carefully, as class times and rooms have changed for this one day only in preparation for our Music Contest next week. Thank you in advance for adjusting your schedule so the classes can have longer rehearsals.
8:45-11:00 Michelle Blackwell, Julia Phelps, Emily Cluff
11:00-1:00 Amber Jones, Crystal Listerman
1:45-3:45 Sarah Forrester
PSHP Board Member: Shelly Burks
- Last week was Payment Day for April. Please pay for 3 weeks, plus $7 church usage fee.
- All Beginner Band and Intermediate Band classes will meet together in their larger classes this week. See attached schedule for more details.
- Graduate Parent Meeting at 11:00 in Room 150 on the west side of the church. You will get a order of ceremony and the caps and gown for April 28.
- Friend’s Meeting, for any interested PSHP parent, will be at 12:10 in Room 203. We will be planning the Teacher’s Luncheon, Prize Store, Final Concerts, and Final Picnic.
- Note the adjusted class schedules for the next 2 Fridays. I will be sending more specifics about April 20 soon. See below for April 20 Performance times.
- All teachers, parents, and students are asked to stop by the Info Table to check spellings of the names for the Yearbook The Yearbook staff has been working very hard and are about to put the finishing touches on the yearbook.
- Please throw away your gum when you are finished chewing.
- Please be sure to only eat and drink on the wood floor in the Fellowship Hall. Water bottles are OK in other parts of the church.
- Please be sure to wear modest clothing as the weather gets warmer, or at least on some days it is spring-like! All shirts need to have a sleeve or a cap on them, and shorts need to be close to the knees.
- See below for contest schedule on Friday, April 20 at Asbury.
- Check the schedule for classes very carefully for April 13 and performance times for April 20.
- Thank you for all you do to make Friday’s a wonderful music ministry.
April 23 is the deadline to receive free shipping
Price is $17. 93 for each book.
Orders placed after April 23 will have additional shipping costs, but will be shipped directly to your home address.
Check out the website and use this passcode:
Attending The Magic Flute Opera by Mozart with PSHP group, Friday April 13
Melanie Bush and her PSHP music history class are attending the Magic Flute at the Gillioz Theater on Friday, April 13 at 7:30. The group rate for tickets is $18.00, but you will need to wait until Monday, April 9 to order your tickets. You will need to call The Gillioz Theater at 417-863-9491. Use code SCHOOL2018 and talk to Jason if you have any troubles.
- Parent Graduation Meeting April 13 at 11:00 in Room 150.
- Graduates, please meet at the Information Table at Noon for photos. The Yearbook staff will also be coming around to your classes to get photos.
- Friends Meeting April 13 at 12:10 in Room 203.
- Please add Saturday, April 28 at 2:30 to your calendar for the first PSHP Graduation Ceremony. The location will be in the Asbury Sanctuary.
Most of the high school students in advance classes will be performing for this event.
If you are attending Graduation and would like to bring snack food for the reception afterward, that would be wonderful. You can bring them Friday, April 27 and leave them in the Asbury Kitchen. Please be sure it is labeled for Graduation!
1:30 All musicians will arrive
2:00 Prelude (Advance Guitar, Classical Guitar Ensemble, Select Wind Ensemble, Concert Choir, Bel Canto, Beethoven, and Brahms.
2:00 Doors open for seating
- Combined Music Practices at Noon
- Friday, April 27
12:00 Practice The Lord Bless You and Keep You
12:15 Agnus Dei (Teachers be sure to save time to eat at the Teacher Luncheon on the same day!!)
1:00 Graduate Practice and Beethoven students will practice processional of Pomp and Circumstance in Sanctuary
- Friday, May 4, 11, and 18
12:00 This Is Amazing Grace
12:20 Jesus Messiah
- April 20, Music Contest Schedule at Asbury
Each class will have a warm-up time and a performance for April 20, but no other class activities. All students will wear concert dress clothes.
9:00 Beethoven Orchestra
9:25 Brahms Orchestra
9:45 Beginner Orchestra
10:00 Intermediate Orchestra
10:15 Advance Intermediate Orchestra
11:00 Younger Beginner Guitars
11:10 Older Beginner Guitars
11:20 Intermediate Guitar
11:35 Advance Guitar
11:55 Classical Guitar Ensemble
1:00 Praise and Worship
1:20 Jazz Ensemble
1:40 Percussion Ensemble
2:10 Beginner Band
2:25 Intermediate band
2:40 Adoration Band
3:00 Select Wind Ensemble
3:45 Singers Choir
4:00 Mezzo Choir
4:15 Concert Choir
4:40 Bel Canto
5:00 Harp Ensemble
Open Houses for New Students for 2018-2019
Please help share the word with any families that might be interested in joining PSHP next fall.
We will have open houses on Friday, May 4 and Friday, May 11 at either 9:15, 10:15, or 1:15.
We meet at Asbury Methodist Church, 1500 S. Campbell.
Please meet at the Information Table in the Fellowship Hall.
No need to reserve a spot, just show up on the day that works best for you.
Summer Music Camp Opportunities
This is the time to be thinking if your music student would benefit or enjoy a music camp setting.
I will have some information at the Information Table about String Fling, a camp offered in July at MSU. This is for grades 7-11.
Also, see information about Bands Alive this summer at MSU. https://www.missouristate.edu/band/7842.htm
I also have another camp that sent information that I will bring.
- The Springfield Symphony Guild also offers music camp scholarships to students that qualify. The deadline for this is Friday, April 13. The is a form to fill out and teacher recommendation letters that will be needed. The forms and letters will be hand-delivered to the Symphony Office on Friday, April 13 and we can coordinate this with Rachelle Barker. Please drop these off at the Information Table by 1:00. I am writing recommendation letters for Hope Barker, BrennynFreeman, Celeste Erwin, Gloria Talmage, and Kirsten Boyd. Let me know if anyone else needs a recommendation letter.
Springfield Youth Symphony Auditions